Friday, August 04, 2006

Day 31 - Last Day In Paradise

After grabbing a nice buffet breakfast with the gang down on gringo street, Haley, Erin, and I headed down to the beach for some relaxing in the sun. We found some nice, soft beach beds with large umbrellas covering them to set our stuff down on and then we headed into the water. It was a little strange after coming out of the water as many people had joined the area around us. Many of them were topless European women. I guess that's how they do things over there.


We forgot our towel at the hotel, so we headed off to purchase a new one. We thought we would only be gone a couple minutes, but it turns out we had walked much farther down to the beach than we had thought. After a mile of walking, we found a nice little place and got our "Playa Del Carmen" towel. Haley also picked up a sarong and a couple waters. When we got back, we learned Erin had gotten kicked off our sun bed. So after finding her we headed back into the water to try to escape the heat. I have never sweated so much in my life. You wouldn't believe the areas of the body that are capable of sweat; the backs of elbows, shoulders, and even knuckles. I didn't used to think I was a sweater, but central America has changed that aspect of my self-image.


On the way home, we ate a little ice cream for lunch. Then for desert Haley let me stop by this shack that was serving chicken. I got half a chicken, a dozen tortillas, rice, and other toppings for about $3US. It was some of the best chicken I have ever eaten. I would eat it again for dinner if I could.


Later on in the day, Haley and I headed back to the beach for some more fun in the water. It was nice to play in the waves, just the two of us. We have really enjoyed our time with the group, but it has also been nice to have some freedom to spend time with each other. This has been a great trip and we are really gonna miss these times of freedom once the real world starts up again.


Tonight we celebrated Antonia's birthday, complete with a pinata, Mexican hats, and music. I couldn't afford the Sobrero, so I cut my facial hair such that only a small line of a mustache remained. Don't worry, I got pictures. The unfortunate thing about the party was that there were a bunch of other GAP groups there on our last night, so things were strange as we tried to celebrate our last night together, but then there were other people there, so it was just odd. Not a bad night, but not the greatest either. After the party, we did hang out a little at a bar on gringo street and then a few minutes sitting on the beach as a group. It was a good evening overall.

No comments: