Friday, August 04, 2006

Day 30 - Uggggh!

Today was a really long travel day. We started at 6:30 in the morning and got to our final destination in Mexico at 7:30. Today was a very bad day for intestinal cramping. At one point, I got quite sweaty, felt horrible pains shooting everywhere in my body, turned quite pail, and started to shake as my body tried to get rid of all its contents all at once. Everybody in our group kept asking if I was alright. They (and I) thought I was going to die. The bad part was that it was just after the Belize border. We re-boarded the bus to ride to the Mexican border (a few minutes away). Though the street is quite large, all along the way there are large 18-wheel trucks parked, effectively making the large street one lane, one way. In the middle was a white van, where the driver had apparently parked the car and left. This was when I was going through my ordeal. Did I mention this was on a very hot chicken bus?


So, we made it through the Mexican border and to the bus station, where I finally found a bathroom. I wouldn’t talk about it, but as a future medical student, I can appreciate the bodies violent efforts to get rid of what it no longer wants. I lost about 7.5 lbs in about 2 seconds. At this time I won't share with you how bad it was when I realized there was no toilet paper.


Much to Erin's pleasure, I finished reading Zorro, by Isabel Allende. She has been waiting in line to read the book as it has made it's rounds amongst our group. I highly recommend the book. It also helps the long bus rides much more enjoyable. After finishing the book, I got some good blogging in on the luxury Mexican bus. They really were luxury buses: Large Mercedes busses, decked out with TV's, lots of legroom, and AC (we actually got cold on the ride).


Playa looked interesting as we passed a Macdonald's, Office Depot, and Sam's Club on our way to the hotel. Tonight we had some awesome Mexican food. I could eat Mexican every meal for the rest of my life and die a very happy man (of course I would probably die earlier, but…). Mexico is going to be fun.

No comments: