Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Home Again, But Not the Same

Sunday, July 01, 2007
12:44 AM

Today as we crossed over a rickety, 300 yard railroad bridge spanning the Sixaola river separating Costa Rica and Panama, it felt good to be back in the country where I graduated high school. Ever since my trip to Bocas Del Toro, Panama, during the Christmas break of the 96-97 school year I have wanted to return. For that matter, ever since living in Panama from 1995-1997 I have wanted to return. Haley and I started planning our trip to Panama 2 years ago, took a detour last summer through the rest of central America, but now here we are.

Our journey to the Isla Colon within the archipelago of Bocas Del Toro began with an early morning bus ride, our long walk across the bridge, a van ride and an hour long boat ride. Bocas is much like I remember it, except a lot bigger and hippier (note that I didn't say hipper). Not that it has turned into a hippie town, just that there are a lot more rastafarian wannabe white travelers all over the place that were definitely not here 10+ years ago. I guess after this and the last place I am quickly realizing that I don't like these little surf towns where people smoke weed, sleep in hostels, and spend there nights in bars. I guess that means I'm getting old.

We just got in from having a deep conversation with the group about religion, politics, the universe and other subjects that both allow you to get an idea as to what kind of people you are traveling with and also force you to think of things in new ways as you mesh with people from other countries and with other belief systems. It is interesting to see how the rest of the world hates America. Now everyone seems to think Haley and I are alright people and there are certainly plenty of other Americans around that don't seem to bother them, but others don't like what America stands for. I guess I can kind of see their points of view. Some of us Americans are a little cocky and loud when we travel.

I am excited for tomorrow. We are gonna go on a full-day catamaran tour. These Catamaran snorkeling trips are quickly becoming something we do on every trip (with last years trip in Caye Caulker as well as on our trip to Puerto Rico a couple years ago). Should be fun. I hope Bocas proves to be as amazing of a place as I remember it being in my head.

No comments: